Event & Company Policies
Please be sure to familiarize yourself with all Rules & Regulations, Terms & Conditions, and Waivers & Release of Liability before you register, then please be aware that because we feel very strongly about treating everyone equally, these policies will apply to all athletes without exception.
Although this covers the majority of race day details, please be sure to look for event specific information a few days before your race. We will send an email to all registered athletes, of course, but for those who don’t receive the email… no worries, just take a peek at the event page for all the same information.
Age Groups – Competitive divisions are determined by an athlete’s age on race day and groups are in 10 year increments. *Note: Those who place in the top 3 for their distance and gender will be moved to an overall division, regardless of age, leaving the remaining field eligible for division awards.
Audio Devices – iPods or other portable music devices that require the use of a headset are allowed, but for safety purposes and so you can hear event announcements and course directions, please be sure to keep the volume at a reasonable level. *IMPORTANT: Devices that deliver guidance or direct help to an athlete are considered ‘assistance’ and may subject the athlete to disqualification under USATF Rule 144.
Awards – Although winners must be present to receive prizes, those who are unable to stay for the ceremony will have until the Tuesday following each event to claim their award by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Winners may choose to pick up their award at an upcoming AR event or have it mailed, but payment of postage & handling will be required in advance of any mailing.
Bibs – Race numbers must be worn and visible from the FRONT at all times. Safety pins will be provided at packet pick-up for those who do not have clips or a race belt. Please be aware that bib numbers are assigned and programmed into our system uniquely for each athlete. If you are checking in with a friend or family member, please be very careful not to swap bibs. *Note: Due to the unfortunate actions of some bandits (athletes who race without registering), if your bib is not visible when you cross the finish line, you will not receive a medal, guaranteed timing results or be eligible for awards, and you will not have access to hydration or nutrition.
Course – Ground markings, directional signs, marshals and volunteers will be positioned to guide you through the course, but it is always a good idea to study up in advance. Interactive maps are available on the event pages and will be posted at Packet Pick-Up, but will not be printed and distributed to each athlete.
Dogs – The last thing we want to do is to stop allowing four-legged, fuzzy athletes to participate. If you are running with a dog, please keep their leash as short as possible AT ALL TIMES… not just when you see someone coming. *Note: If you have difficulty because someone running with a dog leaves a long leash, please try to make a mental note of their bib number, then let us know about it after you finish so we can get in touch with them personally.
Drop Zones – Beginning about 150′ before and ending about 150′ after the first aid station, athletes may drop clothing or equipment they no longer need. Our amazing staff and team of volunteers will get personal items to Lost & Found as quickly as possible, just please be sure your name is on these items for easy identification after you finish. *Note: Although we will deliver all dropped items to Lost & Found, only those left on your first pass by an aid station can be brought in immediately. If you drop items near any other aid station, please plan to wait until after all athletes have finished to pick them up.
Email – Spam filters can send our communications to your junk folder or worse… block them completely, even if you’ve received them in your regular inbox in the past. Rest assured… if you’re registered, we’re sending them. If you haven’t whitelisted our domain (aloharacing.com) or specifically allowed email from us otherwise on your end, please plan to check the website for all event details.
Entry Changes – Should you decide to change distances after you register, or whoops… realize you entered as a male instead of a female, please be sure to log into your entry at least 3 days before the event so we are able to assign the appropriate bib number. *IMPORTANT: Your timing chip is not a GPS tracking device. If you decide to change distances after online registration has closed, you MUST notify the folks at packet pick-up. If, for any reason, you need to change distances after you’ve started your race, you must personally notify the timers immediately after you cross the finish line or you will be disqualified.
Gear Check – Please feel free to check anything from duffel bags to a single set of keys, but please be sure you have consolidated into one piece only, and know that you are checking AT YOUR OWN RISK. Although we will do our best to keep your items safe, we will not be hiring professional security and will NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE for lost, stolen or damaged items. *IMPORTANT: Don’t take your bib number off until you have picked up your gear! For security purposes, checked items will only be released to an athlete wearing the corresponding bib number. Any gear not picked up by the end of the event will be considered ‘Lost & Found’ and will be handled in the manner specified below.
Hydration – The best strategy for endurance athletes is to maintain focus on staying fully hydrated beginning one week before race day, but good hydration is especially critical for two or three days prior to the race. Please consider hydration as a key to having your best race and avoiding a visit with the medics!
Litter – Please remember that we are guests of the venues that welcome us and that litter on the course or around the finish line area could jeopardize the life of this event. Please DO NOT LITTER! Instead, please utilize the drop zone described above or dispose of all trash in proper receptacles. *Note: Although the official ‘drop zone’ is only at the first aid station, we will scour for trash within a reasonable distance surrounding all aid stations, so please don’t feel like you need to carry cups & such as you complete your race.
Lost & Found – All items picked up from within the drop zone or found around the venue during clean-up will be taken to Lost & Found, which will be located under the Gear Check tents. Please check to see if we have what you’re looking for before heading home for the day, or email us using our ‘Contact’ page as soon as possible following the event as items will only be kept until the Tuesday following each event. You may chose to pick up your item at an upcoming AR event or have it mailed, but payment of postage & handling will be required in advance of any mailing.
Packet Pick-Up / Photo ID – Because we promise to provide a serious race for those seriously competing and because we need to prevent the theft of entries by those who might just pick a name off the posted roster, all athletes will be required to provide photo proof of identity to pick up their packet. *IMPORTANT: Only those who personally registered online and agreed to all waivers at that time may send someone to pick-up their packet for them, and anyone you send must have a copy of your photo ID.
Participants – Competitive runners, joggers, walkers, wheelchairs & strollers… all are welcome, but please plan to show respect for your fellow athlete by following basic trail etiquette and staff direction for start line positioning on race day.
Porta-Poos – Under no circumstances should athletes ‘relieve’ themselves anywhere other than in the facilities provided. Facilities will be provided at the venue for before and after you race, then in many cases, units will be positioned along the course as well. Please check the event pages for details.
Post-Race Meal – Mmmm… breakfast burritos! Please enjoy some immediate hydration at the finish line then catch your breath and if you purchased a post-race meal, look for the area in expo where we will be serving breakfast burritos, bagels, fruit & chocolate milk! This meal is for athletes only… spectators should plan to bring food & beverage accordingly.
Pre-Race Hydration / Nutrition – Nothing is more important to us than your safety… period. Although all Finish Aid supplies have been calculated based on the expected number of participants, cups of water will be available at the meal tents before you race.
Prize Giveaway – To be sure we call out only those who are present, tickets will not be taken until the start of each award ceremony. Please wait for award ceremony staff to call for tickets at those times.
Results – Preliminary results will be displayed in the expo area throughout the race, then at www.onlineraceresults.com by the end of race day. *IMPORTANT: Please be sure to find your finish time on displayed results before your award ceremony, even if you don’t expect to have placed. Discrepancies should be reported to the timers immediately to allow for any necessary corrections and to ensure the right awards go to the right athletes. Although discrepancies discovered online later may either be reported through the contact function at Online Race Results or via our ‘Contact’ page, athletes will not be entitled to an award when the necessary correction went unaddressed on race day. Discrepancies of any kind for any reason must be submitted by 11:59p on the Tuesday following the event to be considered for revision.
Safety / Medical – All staff vehicles and aid stations will be equipped with first aid kits, and EMT’s will be positioned at the start / finish line for anyone who may need assistance.
T-Shirts – We want you to LOVE your race shirt! Although you will initially be given the size you purchased with your registration, if you find that a different size might work better, please stop by the tents where Packet Pick-up was held after you race to see if a swap is possible. Athletes who register after advance pricing ends will have the option to purchase a shirt after they finish their race… just swing by those same tents to see what sizes are available.
Timing – Race times will be tracked & scored using a disposable chip. Awards and results will be based on chip times (time starts when you cross the mats), rather than gun times (time starts when the gun goes off), so please be aware that even if no one passed you, it IS possible that they could finish with a faster time.
Trail Etiquette – The more athletes there are on race day, the more important etiquette principles become. Not only should you consider your fellow racers, but John Q. Public will be out there as well. Very basically… stay as far right as possible at all times so other runners and/or bikes can pass on the left. *Note: If you are participating with friends or family… please fall back to single file when another athlete approaches, keeping in mind that they may be coming either from in front of or from behind you. If you are the athlete approaching from behind, please be sure to call out in advance so they know you’re coming.
Updates – Urgent event or course updates will be posted on the event page of this website, but will only be posted on Facebook and emailed to registered athletes if time / circumstances allow. Please bookmark our website, ‘like’ us on Facebook, and whitelist aloharacing.com to be sure you are kept in the loop.
Walk-Up Registration – Although checks will not be accepted, we’re cool with cash or credit / debit (Visa, Master Card, American Express & Discover). *IMPORTANT: Due to the need for waivers to be signed, all walk-up entries must be completed in person. Please do not send a friend or family member to register on your behalf.
Wrap-Up – Links to photos & results will be posted to the event page of our website in advance for your online viewing pleasure.
Below are the circumstances that tend to come up most often, but you should absolutely be sure to read and understand all Terms & Conditions of Participation, as everyone will be required to agree before they will be allowed to register for any Aloha Racing event. Aloha Racing maintains the position that all athletes will be treated equally, therefore, all policies, conditions and deadlines will be strictly adhered to without exception.
Athlete Withdrawls- Athletes who need to withdraw from an event for any reason whatsoever will have the following five options, but shall not be entitled to a refund under any circumstance. Without our express written consent, any attempt to give-away, donate, swap or resell an entry is grounds for 1, seizure and cancellation without refund or other compensation, and 2, exclusion from any and all future Aloha Racing events.
- Deferring to another event will be allowed until 30 days in advance. Athletes who wish to do so should contact us at email@example.com and should include the event and race distance within the next 12 months they would like to defer to. Deferral fees range from $10 – $20, depending on the race distance. No deferrals will be allowed within 30 days of an event, an entry can only be deferred once, and unredeemed deferrals are forfeited.
- Athletes who wish to withdraw up to 14 days in advance of an event will have the option to cancel their existing entry and receive a 50% credit toward any event taking place within the next 12 months. To do so, athletes should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. No credits will be issued within 2 weeks of an event, credits must be redeemed via online registration, and unredeemed credits are forfeited.
- Athletes who wish to transfer their entry to a third party may do so until 72 hours in advance of the event’s earliest gun time and should notify us by emailing the following information to email@example.com: Full name, date of birth, event & race distance of the registered athlete who can no longer participate. A discount code will be issued to the original athlete in the amount originally paid, less a $10 administrative fee. Although the recipient of this discount may choose to race a different distance, they will only be allowed to register for the original event and must use the discount code before online registration closes. Transfer discounts will not be honored at packet pick-up or walk-up registration and unused balances are forfeited.
- Athletes will be allowed to switch distances for any reason until the published pick-up closure time for the new distance selected. If the decision to do so is made before online registration closes, athletes should email their request to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include both the distance they originally registered for and the one they would like to switch to. Decisions made after online registration has closed should be reported to the individual who checks them in for the original distance. Instructions on how to make the switch will be delivered at that time.
- Athletes who are either unable to or choose not to benefit from previously stated options may elect to receive the SWAG appropriate for their unique situation. To guarantee availability, athletes must email us at email@example.com at least 24 hours before the event’s first scheduled gun time and must specify whether 1, they will be sending someone to pick-up on their behalf, 2, which future event they will pick-up at personally, or 3, that they are willing to pay shipping and handling expenses via an invoice that would be sent after the event has concluded. Due to the nature of our shirt swap practices, requests of this type received after the 24-hour advance deadline may or may not be possible.
Event Modifications and Cancellations (Force Majeure)- Although we plan to race rain or shine, all athletes acknowledge and accept that cancellations or modifications to any or all circumstances concerning the event may be necessary and / or out of our reasonable control.
- We reserve the right to reschedule, modify or cancel any or all portions of an event if any direct or indirect condition whatsoever, foreseeable or unforeseeable, compromises athlete safety or makes the originally planned event inadvisable, impractical, unachievable, illegal or impossible. These force majeure conditions may include but are not limited to acts of God or natural disasters, such as weather disturbances, flooding, fire or earthquakes; acts of war, such as civil or military disturbances, riots, terrorism or threats of terrorism; acts of government or permitting authorities, such as embargoes, expropriation or changes in laws or regulations; disease, epidemics or pandemics; accidents or sabotage; strikes, labor disputes, disruptions or lock-outs; power failures or any interruption to utility, transportation or communication services.
- There will be no refunds and no credits toward another event for rescheduled, modified, or cancelled events, and we shall not be liable to the athlete for any loss or additional expense whatsoever.
Photo ID- To prevent the theft of entries by folks who might just pick a name off the posted roster, photo proof of identity will be required to pick up your packet.
- Athletes aged 16 or older must produce a valid form of photo identification matching the information included in their entry before we will release the packet.
- Athletes who designate a third party to pick up their packet must provide legible evidence of valid photo identification matching the information included in the athlete’s entry. The third party will then be required to produce said evidence for our inspection before the packet will be released.
- Third party pick-up will not be allowed on race day.
Prior to registering for an Aloha Racing event, please be sure to read this Participant Waiver and Release of Liability / Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement, which, among other things, deprives you of certain important legal rights, including but limited to the right to sue if you are injured during the event.
Upon completion of an entry form and payment of the entry fee, athletes shall be deemed to have read, understood and accepted all Event & Company Policies which include the above stated Rules & Regulations, Terms & Conditions and Waivers & Release, (collectively, the Agreement), and entered into a legally binding contract.